Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey (VIUS)
The 2021 VIUS data collection period began Wednesday, February 23.
If you are a VIUS respondent, please refer to the "Information for Respondents" menu. A great place to begin is with the Instructional Videos prepared by the U.S. Census Bureau. Or if you want to get started with responding, refer to the VIUS Respondent Information on Census.gov
The DRAFT 2021 VIUS data table shells are now available for review. If you would like to review and comment on the draft table shells please visit the following links and then send comment to VIUS@dot.gov. Thank you for your interest!
2021 VIUS Vehicles by GVWR Class DRAFT Table Shells G4 | Bureau of Transportation Statistics (bts.gov)
2021 VIUS Vehicles by Truck type and Vehicle Configuration DRAFT Table Shells G5 | Bureau of Transportation Statistics (bts.gov)
2021 VIUS All Personal vs Commercial Vehicles DRAFT Table Shells G6 | Bureau of Transportation Statistics (bts.gov)
What is VIUS?
The VIUS has been the principal data source on the physical and operational characteristics of the United States truck population. Its primary goal is to gain an understanding nationally and statewide on how trucks are being utilized for various goods transport.
The 2021 VIUS
The 2021 VIUS is being conducted in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Department of Energy (DOE), and the US Census Bureau to better under the characteristics and use of vehicles on our nation's roads. The data will be used to guide investments in our nation's infrastructure, vehicle technologies and parts; as well as to evaluate truck safety needs, emissions estimates, and conservation practices. BTS is proud to be bringing back this survey with the support of its partners after 20 years.
The 2021 VIUS is a survey of 150,000 vehicle owners of class 1 through 8 trucks, which includes vehicle body types, such as, pickups, SUVs, minivans, light vans, straight trucks and truck tractors. Dependent on the size of the selected vehicle, the vehicle owner will receive either the Heavy Vehicle Questionnaire or the Light Vehicle Questionnaire. The survey will be conducted from February through October, 2022. The results of the nationally representative survey are planned for Fall 2023.
The 2021 VIUS will collect data on:
- Vehicle safety technologies, such as, collision warning, parking assist, and vehicle to vehicle communications,
- Vehicle fuel types, including alternative fuel sources,
- Vehicle maintenance and level of repairs,
- The uses of vehicles, including how often they are used, their capabilities, how far they travel, and why they travel,
- Miles traveled and fuel economy by weight, type, configuration, and age of vehicle,
- Axle configurations, trailers hauled, and operating weight,
- Equipment added after manufacture of the chassis,
- Business versus personal use and types of economic activity served,
- Commodities carried,
- And much more!
Current VIUS estimates are of critical importance to federal agencies, state departments of transportation, metropolitan planning organizations, business, and drivers alike.
Results from the 2021 survey will:
Provide statistics for:
- Vehicle size and weight studies
- Tracking the deployment of driver-assistance technology
- Input to freight demand models and air quality models
- Role of motor vehicles in the economy
- Fuel efficiency of the Nation's truck fleet
- Analyses of fees and allocation of cost among highway users
- Highway traveler exposure to potential safety risks
Guide investments into:
- Better roads, bridges, fueling stations, and other transportation infrastructure at the local and state level,
- Decrease traffic congestion and energy usage on the nation’s roadways,
- Increase safety and the ability to move goods more effectively,
- And more
2021 VIUS Milestones
|Survey Release||February 23, 2022|
|Survey Conclusion||October 2022|
|Data Release||Fall 2023|