Freight Analysis Framework
About the Freight Analysis Framework
The Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) creates a comprehensive picture of freight movement among states and major metropolitan areas by all modes of transportation. The FAF integrates data from a variety of sources. Starting with data from the Commodity Flow Survey (CFS) and international trade data from the Census Bureau, FAF incorporates data from agriculture, extraction, utility, construction, service, and other sectors. The FAF is produced through a partnership between BTS and FHWA.
FAF Version 5
The creation of the fifth generation of FAF (FAF5) is underway, and the regional database for the benchmark year of 2017 and forecast data are now available. Future releases of FAF5 will include annual estimates, tabulation and visualization tools, and FAF truck flow estimates on highway network.
The FAF5 Regional Database of tonnage, value, and ton-miles by FAF regions of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode, benchmarked to the 2017 Commodity Flow Survey is available. Weights are in thousands of tons, activity is in millions of ton-miles, and values are in millions of 2017 constant dollars. Files listed below are available for download in .csv and MS Access formats.
- Use the FAF5 Data Tabulation Tool
- FAF5.2 Regional Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (mid-range estimates only): FAF5.2_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.2.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.2 Regional Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (including high and low estimates): FAF5.2_HiLoForecasts_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.2_HiLoForecasts.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.2 State Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (mid-range estimates only): FAF5.2_State_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.2_State.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.2 State Database for 2017 and forecasts up to 2050 (including high and low estimates): FAF5.2_State_HiLoForecasts_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.2_State_HiLoForecasts_.zip (.csv)
- FAF5.2 Reprocessed State Level Annual Data for 1997-2012: FAF5.2_Reprocessed_1992-2012_State_access.zip (MS Access) | FAF5.2_Reprocessed_1992-2012_State.zip (.csv)
Summary Statistics and Products
- FAF5 User Guide
- FAF5 Data Tabulation Tool: Getting Started Guide
- FAF5 Base Year Data Development: Methodology Report
- FAF5 Frequently Asked Questions
- CFS Area Code - FAF5 Region Id (lookup table)
- 2017 Commodity Flow Survey Geography
Information on FAF1, FAF2, and FAF3 is available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org.